The City’s Wastewater Treatment Plant licensed by the State North Coast Water Quality Control District for discharge requirements and as a Public Utility with oversight by the Public Utility Commission (PUC).
The original sewer system was reported to have been built in the early 1930’s. The current treatment facility consists of a facultative lagoon system that was originally put online in 1982, replacing the existing community septic system. In the early 1980’s, several portions of the collection system were slip lined with polyethylene. Limited service was extended to the northern commercial and residential portion of the City in 2002.
The City operates two aerated facultative ponds which are currently operated in series. The primary concern with the treatment ponds is the excessive level of solids that have accumulated over the years. Effluent pumps are used to discharge chlorinated effluent through a 3400-ft, 8-inch force main to the percolation basins.
The City currently discharges treated effluent to four 17,000 square-foot percolation ponds. The ponds have sufficient capacity during most of the year. However, during larger wet weather events the percolation rate in the ponds is not able to keep up with the effluent flows and a neighboring spray field must be utilized for additional discharge.
The Licensed Plant Operators operate and maintain the City’s wastewater collection and treatment facilities. They monitor continuous operation of treatment process and equipment, perform laboratory tests and record keeping. They act as Inspectors for collection system connections, and are on call for treatment plant emergencies and collection system blockages.
The lead Plant Operator has direct responsibility for reporting compliance to regulatory agencies, works with City Administrator, City Council, and Operations Board to develop annual budget, implement plans, and achieve full plant responsibility and efficient operations and the sewer ordinance.