The Main Street Historic Commercial District represents the development of commercial activity in Point Arena from the late nineteenth century to the end of the Great Depression.
Although Main Street had been a commercial center since the 186Os, most of the buildings in the district were constructed in 1927 and 1928 after a calamitous fire on June 25, 1927 destroyed most of the town’s commercial structures.
The fire forced local business owners to respond to economic changes. Lumber mills and ranches were going out of business. Tourists were arriving. Buildings that served the old economy (hotels for mill workers, blacksmith shops, saloons) were replaced by buildings to serve the new economy (gas stations and a movie theater).
Because most construction took place during a short period, the district has a uniform appearance.
Source: “National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: Main Street Historic Commercial District” (PDF). National Park Service.